Sand Seed Service, Inc. was founded in 1932 by John Sand, beginning a three-generation tradition. Aggressive promotion of farm seeds led to the construction of Sand’s first seed conditioning plant in 1947 by Sand and his sons Merle, Bob, Ray and Paul and son-in-law Bill Horstman.
A modern concrete grain storage and load-out elevator was built in 1972. This elevator was expanded in 1975 and 1976. In addition, the 70’s and early 80’s marked the growth of Sand's jumbo hopper car fleet to a total of 38.
Throughout the years, seed has been the backbone of the organization. Sand Seed Service produced, packaged and sold certified seed oats and public soybean varieties in the four-state area, as well as servicing the food bean export market. The organization also produced and conditioned seed for several other companies on a contract basis.
Following a complete remodeling of the seed plant in 1980, Sands introduced their own brand of farm seeds, SOI Brand Soybean seed. The new SOI brand seed is distributed through a dealer marketing network. Two years later, a new state-of-the-art soybean seed conditioning plant was built in 1984.
Growth in the late 1990's and early 2000's marked a new period of construction. Sand's warehouse facility was doubled and eight new seed storage bins were also constructed to accommodate increasing demand.
Today, SOI brand encompasses soybeans, alfalfa, small grain and grass seeds marketed to producers in Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota and Nebraska under the leadership of President Charles Sand.